December Reading List: The page turners I can’t put down this month.

I read constantly. The news, old records, books, even the back of a cereal box if that is all that is handy. I’m like a sponge that is always trying to soak up information from anywhere I can. Most of my reading choices relate to history or genealogy, and I’m always looking for new great reads.

This month I am reading 3 interesting books.

**Using the links in this post to purchase books will take you to Amazon. If you use these links to purchase these items I may receive compensation from Amazon. Beyond being an affiliate for Amazon I receive no compensation for recommending these books and my opinions are my own.**

32D Infantry Division World War II by Maj. Gen. H.W. Blakeley

The first book I am reading is by Major General H.W. Blakeley. I am using it as one of my source documents for the blog series about Fred Jacobs during World War II. The printed version is pricey. Thankfully, a digital version of the entire book is available on the Internet Archive.

Pacific Street by Amy Cohen.

I started this book a few days ago. It is nice to take a break from research and class studies to read a book purely for enjoyment. This is a fact-based fictional novel with a heavy dose of genealogical influence from Amy’s research of her own ancestors. For more from Amy Cohen be sure to check out her genealogy blog at Brotmanblog: A Family Journey.

The Asylum by Nathan Dylan Goodwin

This is another read I picked up purely for enjoyment. This is a short novel about a forensic genealogist. I was hooked from the moment I read the description. I have this one saved for reading later in the month and I can’t wait to dig into this tale. Crime mystery meets forensic genealogy! This is sure to be a winner. For more from Nathan Dylan Goodwin be sure to check out his site.

What are you reading?

I am always looking for great reading suggestions. Is there a book you cannot live without in your research? What genealogy or historical inspired novel hooked you like no other?

8 comments for “December Reading List: The page turners I can’t put down this month.

1. December 13, 2019 at 10:19 am

I’m about to start The Pioneers by David McCullough. The reviews have been all over the place so I’m interested to see how I like it. I finished The Heretic’s Daughter a few days ago. I thought that was really good. And Nathan Dylan Goodwin’s book are all fantastic! Happy reading!

Liked by 1 person

• December 13, 2019 at 10:25 am

I’m really looking forward to reading Asylum. I have it put up for later this month. It has me intrigued. I can see me reading more of Nathan Dylan Goodwin’s books. I’m curious to hear what you think of The Pioneers once you finish. I might have to add that to my need to read list.

2. Amy
    December 13, 2019 at 11:16 am

Thank you so much, Carrie! I am honored indeed. I hope that you enjoy the book. Let me know!

Liked by 1 person

• December 13, 2019 at 11:31 am

My pleasure. I love a good book. I’m enjoying it so far. Great work! I have aspirations to write one someday… and that will probably be written on my tombstone because that’s as far as I’ll ever get lol.

Liked by 1 person

• Amy
        December 13, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Never say never! I always thought I’d end up the same, and somehow I did it.

Liked by 1 person

3. December 13, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for telling us about these books. I just purchased Pacific Street and will put the other two on my reading lists.

Liked by 1 person

4. December 13, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I enjoyed The Asylum. I should get more of his books. I also read a lot of history and books related to the subjects I’m writing about. But for fun I’ve been reading some fiction lately: True Sisters by Sandra Dallas, At the Water’s Edge by Sarah Gruen, and rereading my Harry Potter books!

Liked by 1 person