U.S. Family History Records
While I enjoy assisting other’s with research I also enjoy helping others learn how to investigate their own ancestry I have started a list of sites that I find helpful in my research.
Check Back Often for Updates!
Searching within a budget has forced me to get creative in the sites that I use. As I result I have created a list that is an ever growing list of free resources. I have made mention of paid sites if I find them of significant value. Paid sites are denoted with $$.
Large Records/Information Databases
The large databases have the most information gathered together in one place. They cover the nation or world and many of them have great resources for starting research and building a tree.
Ancestry.com in my opinion (not a paid endorsement I am a longtime customer) is the easiest site for just starting out and the availability of hints are useful for the beginner and experienced alike. The membership for ancestry can be a strain on a tight budget so check out my Ancestry Hacks for saving money.
FamilySearch is a wonderful genealogy site operated by the LDS chuch. FamilySearch is completely free. It also has an amazing library of records. The major drawback on this site is that there are no private trees. The goal is to build one giant tree and to that end anyone can edit your tree.
Regional Records Databases
- Research Tip of the WeekResearch tip of the week to help both beginner and seasoned researchers. Primary vs. Secondary sources and how to weigh secondary sources.
- Research TipA weekly genealogy research tip every Tuesday.
- Free Genealogy Sites. My Top 3 For Michigan.I find a lot of great free genealogy sites by performing pinpoint research to discover what more is out there. A great many generations of various branches of my family have lived in Michigan. That has made me have to dig deeper to learn where to look for Michigan related genealogy sites. Here are 3 … Read more
- Cousins Made Easy: Calculate Relationship with this Quick VideoCounting cousins made easy
- Fascinating DNA Revelations. A Quick Look at Math and MatchesDNA is an exciting tool with fascinating new capabilities everyday. It is important to understand the limitations and benefits of this exciting frontier of genetic genealogy.