Family History Records
While I enjoy assisting other’s with research I also enjoy helping others learn how to investigate their own ancestry I have started a list of sites that I find helpful in my research.
Check Back Often for Updates!
Searching within a budget has forced me to get creative in the sites that I use. As I result I have created a list that is an ever growing list of free resources. I have made mention of paid sites if I find them of significant value. Paid sites are denoted with $$.
Large Records/Information Databases
The large databases have the most information gathered together in one place. They cover the nation or world and many of them have great resources for starting research and building a tree.
Ancestry.com in my opinion (not a paid endorsement I am a longtime customer) is the easiest site for just starting out and the availability of hints are useful for the beginner and experienced alike. The membership for ancestry can be a strain on a tight budget so check out my Ancestry Hacks for saving money.
FamilySearch is a wonderful genealogy site operated by the LDS chuch. FamilySearch is completely free. It also has an amazing library of records. The major drawback on this site is that there are no private trees. The goal is to build one giant tree and to that end anyone can edit your tree.
Regional Records Databases
- Research Tip of the WeekEvery week I share a tip. This week my tip is about taking time to work on your project.
- Research Tip of the WeekEach week I provide a research tip. This week my tip is about cultural naming traditions and how they can be useful in genealogy research.
- Research Tip of the WeekThis week's research tip is about the usefulness of Google searches in Genealogy. Are you getting the most out of your searches?
- Research Tip of the WeekThis week's tip is about taking the time to record family recipes for future generations.
- Research Tip of the WeekEach week I provide a useful tip for better genealogical research. This week tip Tuesday is about the use of Facebook in genealogical research.